SoC 2008 student proposals
From PanoTools.org Wiki
Revision as of 18:45, 21 March 2008 by James Legg (Added my OpenGL hugin preview project)
- name / university / current enrollment
- short bio / overview of your educational background
- did you ever code in C or C++, yes/no? please provide examples of code.
- do you photograph panoramas? please provide examples.
- do you make other use of hugin/panotools than for stitching panoramas? please describe and show examples.
- were you involved in hugin/panotools development in the past? what was your contribution?
- were you involved in other OpenSource development projects in the past? which, when and in what role?
- why have you chosen your development idea and what do you expect from your implementation?
- how much time you plan to invest in the project? (we expected full time 40h/week but better make this explicit)
- please provide a schedule of how this time will be spent on subtasks of the project. While this is only preliminary, be aware that at the beginning of the project you will be required to provide a detailed plan, and during the project you will issue weekly progress reports against that plan.
Add your project here
James Legg, OpenGL Accelerated Hugin Preview
- I am James Legg, a 2nd year undergraduate in Computer Science and Mathematics at The University of York
- (TODO) short bio / overview of your educational background
- I have experience in C++, for example I created a program that displays a procedural random terrain, including multiple layers of textures, using OpenGL for rendering and libnoise for coherent noise generation. (I will link to this soon)
- I do photograph panoramas (I will also link to an example soon)
- I also use hugin for aligning bracketed photos to create HDR images, and I use enblend (and the Gimp) to create seamless textures from photographs.
- I have only recently started contributing to hugin, see http://groups.google.com/group/hugin-ptx/browse_thread/thread/f94c584095fcb9d0.
- I have not been involved in other open source development projects beyond use, evangelising and bug reporting.
- After completing this project, I expect to have a new optional preview display, acting largely like the existing one. This should instead use OpenGL and use some kind of mesh to remap the images. (TODO) I would like to do this project since I have an interest in human interface design and computer graphics.
- I will invest 40 hours a week after the first 3 weeks of the project. Unfortunately the 3rd week of Coding Phase 1 is an exam week, However I will attempt to make up the time before the official coding start date.
- (TODO) please provide a schedule of how this time will be spent on subtasks of the project. While this is only preliminary, be aware that at the beginning of the project you will be required to provide a detailed plan, and during the project you will issue weekly progress reports against that plan.