SoC2007 project Feature Descriptor
Robust local feature detector and descriptor
Goal: Robust matching of features between multiple images using a Hessian-based detector and a suitable descriptor. A detector and descriptor that takes into account the approximately known distortions will have a much higher matching rate, especially when fisheye or wide angle images are used.
This project should be split into two projects, which could be done by separate students:
- Implementation of the feature detector and descriptor, and a suitable test suite to verify the correctness of the implementation.
A desired result of the projects would be:
- C or C++ library that implements the detection and description steps.
- C or C++ library for the matching step.
- Integration of both libraries into hugin and a standalone executable similar to Autopano-sift or Autopano
Required knowledge or interest in:
- signal or image processing background
- C or C++ development skills.
- Matlab or octave
Literature about feature detection
- Wikipedia article on SIFT, contains several good references
- Tutorial on local invariant features
- Lecture notes on feature detection/matching]
- Framework for testing descriptors
Software and libraries
Mentor: Pablo d'Angelo, Herbert Bay, ?