There are basically three types of viewers for spherical panoramas:
- Java based Viewers run on any platform that supports Java.
- Plugin based viewers require a plugin (Quicktime, Shockwave) to run and might be platform specific.
- Stand alone viewers that are executables for a specific platform.
Java based Viewers
- First and until now most versatile is PTViewer developped originally by Helmut Dersch and now maintained and enhanced by Fulvio Senore
- Immervision G2 - very promising but still beta.
There are some commercial Java based viewers. Most of them are either a PTViewer clone or less functional. (Please add something about commercial Java viewers)
Plugin based Viewers
SPi-V is a very sophisticated and smoothe viewer based on Macromedia Shockwave that handles panoramas completeley in graphics card memory.