History and Versions
PTViewer is the spherical and cylindrical panorama viewer originally distributed with the Panorama tools package. It currently is available in some different flavours:
- The last version of PTViewer from Helmut Dersch before he closed his page is 2.5 and can be found on some Mirrors of this page.
- At that time Helmut Dersch was working at version 2.6 that has only been available as a beta version. Its main feature was support for partial panoramic images (less than 360�).
- PTViewer development moved to Sourceforge in 2003 but didnt yield reasonable results til now (?)
- Fulvio Senore presented the first beta of his PTViewer version on 18 Jan 2004 which used a far better interpolator (Lanczos2, hence the version line was called 'L2') which is constantly developped since then now having reached 2.7 final and 2.8 beta state: See http://www.fsoft.it/panorama/ptviewer.htm for details
- Around christmas 2003 Helmut Dersch introduced PTViewer 3 which as major new feature had HDR (High Dynamic Range) capabilites with a floating point extension to the jpeg format (called fjpg) and adaptive dynamic range in the viewer. This version has grown to 3.1.2 until now. See http://webuser.fh-furtwangen.de/~dersch/ for details.
- 20 May 2004 he came out with PTViewerME, a version for PDAs and Mobile Devices running on J2ME, Sun's microedition runtime for the Java language. Details again on http://webuser.fh-furtwangen.de/~dersch/
Since there are so many versions it's difficult to maintain a comprehensive list of features of PTViewer. I start with the slightly edited feature list found in the PTViewer 2.4 documentation (please correct and add):
- Spherical and Cylindrical Panorama Playback: Horizontal field of view: 360�, Vertical field of view 0-180�.
- Playback of Quicktime VR panoramas (Cylinders and Cubes) and Object movies (eventually using PTMViewer extension).
- Display of rectilinear Images using optional PTZoom extension (not all versions)
- Panning, tilting and zooming. Full navigation using either mouse or keyboard.
- High Quality bilinear rendering as found in better plug-in viewers, even better Lanczos2 interpolation in the L2 version line.
- Antialiasing for display of high resolution images.
- Image and window size only limited by Java system memory.
- Link any document to any point in the image using hotspots.
- Configurable Controls in Appletwindow.
- Complete VR-Tours in Browsers and Appletviewer.
- Tiny file size (25-70kByte) for fast download.
- Package all files into one self-displaying tour using the Jar-utility.
- Display 3D-objects, Panorama Movies and animations using auxiliary helper applets included in the distribution.
- Supports fast downloading low resolution preview panoramas and high resolution zoomable features (ROI).
- Optional protection of panoramas and images by encryption.
The most comprehensive site on PTViewer (version 2.7L2 from Fulvio Senore) parameters, scripting and features is http://users2.ev1.net/~wufdog/PT/
created by Erik Krause 16:39, 14 Apr 2005 (EDT)