Hugin Compiling FreeBSD
Hugin is part of the FreeBSD ports collection. Using the ports collection (and contributing fixes to it) is the recommended way to install Hugin on FreeBSD. The Hugin port is currently maintained by Vasil Dimov <vd (at) FreeBSD.org>.
Install with the port
# su # cd /usr/ports/graphics/hugin # make # make install
Update the port
To track Hugin's releases, after each new release edit the following files in the Ports Collection:
1. Create a directory /usr/ports/graphics/hugin-new with the same contents as /usr/ports/graphics/hugin. Copy the files Makefile, pkg-descr and pkg-plist from /usr/ports/graphics/hugin to /usr/ports/graphics/hugin-new
2. Edit the Makefile:
- Set PORTVERSION to the name of the new release (e.g. 2011.2.0).
- Set PORTREVISION to 0
- Change any necessary build dependencies in LIB_DEPENDS
- Change any necessary runtime dependencies in RUN_DEPENDS
- Change any necessary Cmake building arguments in CMAKE_ARGS
3. Run make makesum to create the file distinfo.
4. Check the pkg-plist list of installed files and change if necessary. While it can't be done automatically, the trick is to make PREFIX=/tmp/foobar install and then check the files under /tmp/foobar (assuming it was non-existent before).
5. Probably not necessary: edit the pkg-descr description of Hugin.
6. Build and confirm that it works.
7. Make a diff and submit it to the FreeBSD maintainer (see at top).
If you would like to know more about porting software to FreeBSD see the FreeBSD Porter's Handbook.
The FreeBSD Ports Collection expects to get the software in the form of a tarball. When using software checked out of the Mercurial repository, you will need to do some trickery.
One method is to check out the version and then create a tarball for the Ports Collection to use, but it's easier to first check out a released version (for example the latest release) and then replace it with the version from the repository. The following example assumes that the current release is version 2011.4.0:
CARE: The code below was wrong, and would have removed everything. I have modified it so it's not so dangerous, but it's still wrong. Watch this space.
mkdir -p /usr/ports/graphics/hugin-devel cd /usr/ports/graphics/hugin note: the release directory cp -p Makefile pkg-descr pkg-plist distinfo ../hugin-devel cd ../hugin-devel make patch extracts the tarball cd work mv hugin-2011.4.0 hugin-2011.4.0-old we currently need this: see below hg clone http://hugin.hg.sourceforge.net:8000/hgroot/hugin/hugin check out the tip mv hugin hugin-2011.4.0 this is the name referred to the Makefile
At this point you currently need to patch the tree. The tclap library that used to be in Hugin has been removed, and until we decide what to do with the FreeBSD build, it will need to be replaced:
mkdir hugin-2011.4.0/src/foreign/tclap cp -p hugin-2011.4.0-old/src/foreign/tclap/* hugin-2011.4.0/src/foreign/tclap
After this, you can build the version. Change to the FreeBSD build directory, edit Makefile if necessary, and build. If you already have an installed version which you want to keep, you can make a backup of it (second line below):
cd /usr/ports/graphics/hugin-devel pkg_create -b /var/db/pkg/hugin-2011.4.0 this usage allows file name completion make install
Note that the Ports Collection stores a number of dummy files in the subdirectory work:
-rw-r--r-- 1 grog lemis 0 Jul 28 12:34 .build_done.hugin._usr_local -rw-r--r-- 1 grog lemis 0 Jul 28 12:00 .configure_done.hugin._usr_local -rw-r--r-- 1 grog lemis 0 Jul 25 10:59 .extract_done.hugin._usr_local -rw-r--r-- 1 grog lemis 0 Jul 25 10:59 .patch_done.hugin._usr_local
These are used by the Makefile to know which steps need to be repeated. In particular, the last two are important: if they're missing, the build directory will be removed and replaced by the release. That's why you need to do a make patch early in the above procedure.
Updating the installation
If you find you need to change something after building or installing (either because of an update or a local bug fix), don't run make clean. That would remove the entire work tree, including the sources. Instead, remove the files work/.build_done.hugin._usr_local and work/.install_done.hugin._usr_local, make the changes, and run make install again.
To synchronize with the repository, do:
cd /usr/ports/graphics/hugin-devel/work/hugin-2011.4.0 hg up update to the latest version
To get a specific version,
hg up -r 5345 update to version 5345