Google SoC 2007
We are passionated about our images. We look for students passionated about their code to help us making better images.
- 1 Next Deadline
- 2 Students
- 3 Project Ideas / Our Software Universe
- 4 Organization
- March 24: Students applications
want to partecipate? we want to help you be a successful candidate.
- Deadline: March 24
- join the mailing list
- read Applicants Guide and check if you qualify.
- prepare the answers to 
- read below about our software universe.
- read the projects ideas.
- if you have an idea that is not listed there, please propose it to the mailing list.
- if you see an idea there that you like, take ownership of it.
- Contact the mentioned mentor and/or the mailing list if no mentor is mentioned.
- refine the idea, add detail, describe what you intend to do and how, work with your mentor and with the steering committee at fleshing your project out so that Google's Open Source Program Office will accept it.
- on the idea page add a short bio, motivate why you are interested in taking up that particular idea, your relationship to panorama making in general and to hugin in particular.
- apply to Google before March 24. We will do our outmost to help you to a successful application.
Project Ideas / Our Software Universe
feel free to add / specify the projects ideas.
While we might consider application from students to write code in related fields / other application, our interest is to recruit students to work on these tools:
hugin is the hub of our activity. It is the most advanced OpenSource GUI to create stitched panoramas from 360°x180° full sphericals  to gigapixel size stitched images. Moreover it has some unique features such as the correction of chromatic aberration or (soon) HDR stitching. Project page
panotools is the library powering the magic. It's an extremely versatile library and can be used not only to seamlessly stitch images, but also correct many lens distortions or remap images to different projection.
Initially developed by Professor Helmut Dersch in 1998, this set of tools to warp and stitch images was born ahead of their time. Only a decade later competing products of equal versatility and functionality started to appear.
A number of proprietary GUIs have been commercialized for the panotools, notably PTgui, PTassembler, and PTmac.
One of the critical tasks of stitching images is to register the position of each image to another with so called control points. hugin works with a plug-in for that. The most popular are autopano and autopano-SIFT.
Once the images are registered in space and warped by panotools, the seams are still visible and need to be blended. Again, hugin works with a plug-in for that. The most popular is Enblend
RAW conversions / HDR / tonemapping / other digital photo techniques
Panorama making presents some unique challenges to what is the standard image processing workflow in modern digital photography.
- lenses distorsions and their effect on RAW conversion.
- higher dynamic range across the image.
freepv panorama viewer
The resulting images are 2D, but a full spherical 360°x180° panorama can be reprojected to create a VR. There are a number of technologies to view VR and freepv is an effort to build a universal viewer
We have successfully applied as mentoring organization
- Pablo, d'Angelo, Germany
- Herbert Bay, Switzerland
- John Cupitt, United Kingdom
- Daniel M. German, Canada
- JD Smith, USA
- Yuval Levy, Canada
- Alexandre Prokoudine, Russia
We have a steering committee of experienced industry and community leaders to advise the Mentors and Students.
- Don Bain, USA, UCal Berkeley, co-founder of the WWP and board member of IVRPA.
- Aldo Hoeben, The Netherlands, devloper of the SPi-V shockwave panorama engine, and board memberf of IVRPA.
- Erik Krause, Germany, a leader of the user community around PanoTools.
- Mickael Therer, Belgium, Photographer.
- Ken Turkowski, USA, of the original QuickTimeVR team.
- Luca N. Vascon, Italy, professor at the Multimedia Laboratory of IUAV university in Venice.
This organization is supported and endorsed by these people and organizations.