Entrance Pupil Database
Wouldn't it be great if everyone entered their values for their NPP / Nodal Point / Entrance Pupil for lens and camera combinations. Some searching on the web will find a lot of people saying they want to start to create a database of some kind, but have not seen anything substantial so far (correct me if I am wrong).
Please enter your own values if they are not listed.
Thanks, --Richard Korff 11:12, 13 May 2005 (EDT)
To cater for all the different camera bodies and lenses, the tables have been split into 2 parts:
- The first table shows the position of the tripod mount in relation to the lens axis. This is easy to measure and is dependent only on the camera body.
- The second table shows the actual entrance pupil distance which is only dependent on the lens itself. Note that the NPP for fisheye lenses is not constant over the image circle's FoV, so you will sometimes find different NPP values depending on the angle where your images overlap.
Use as much as possible actual measurements rather than the reading on your panorama head, unless your are sure these are the same.
To enter a line for your combination, edit the page by clicking edit at the top of the screen (you may need to create an account or sign-in first), and edit the table below.
Tripod Mount Measurements
|Camera||Tripod mount off-center (C)||Tripod mount height (H)||Tripod mount length (L1)|
|Use the correct name of your camera. For digital camera's, please use the name as mentioned at dpreview.||Looking at the bottom of the camera, the distance between the the middle of the tripod mount to the lens axis (0 if the tripod mount is over the centre of the lens)||Facing the camera, the distance from the base of the camera to the center of the lens||Looking at the bottom of the camera, the distance between the middle of the tripod mount to the base of the lens base, or base for adaptor tube. For fixed lens camera's which do not allow use of adaptors this column is not applicable.|
|Canon EOS 300D / Digital Rebel (EOS Digital Rebel)||0mm||40mm||40mm|
|Nikon C8800||19.1 mm||67.9 mm||N/A|
|Canon EOS 350D / Digital Rebel XT (measured by NP)||0 mm||37.5 mm||38.5 mm|
|Canon EOS 300D / Digital Rebel (measured by NP)||0 mm||40 mm||38.5 mm|
|Nikon D100 with MB-D100||0 mm||93 mm||33,5 mm|
|Fujifilm FinePix S7000||0 mm||32.8 mm||69mm + 37mm(Adapt.Tube)=106mm|
|Canon EOS 20D||0 mm||40 mm||36.5mm|
|Canon PowerShot A630||15 mm||28 mm||0mm (fixed lens)|
|Nikon D300||0 mm||47.6 mm||42.4mm|
|Nikon D300 + MB-D10||0 mm||90.2 mm||31.4mm|
Entrance Pupil Measurements
- To calculate the Entrance pupil distance add the Tripod Mount Length (L1) from the camera and the Entrance Pupil Length (L2) from the lens. So for example for a Canon 300d and a 10-22mm at 10mm, the total Entrance pupil distance from the tripod mount is 40mm + 66mm = 106mm
- For these Focal Length values the actual focus is set to infinity ()
- VRwave lens database - http://www.vrwave.com/panoramic/photography/lens_database.html
- Panoramic Resolution by Ken Turkowski - http://www.worldserver.com/turk/quicktimevr/panores.html